Monday, April 15, 2013

Family Stories and why they are important

http://www.designmom.com/2013/04/family-stories-lead-to-health-happiness/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/fashion/the-family-stories-that-bind-us-this-life.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marshall-p-duke/the-stories-that-bind-us-_b_2918975.html

I came across this super interesting article on family stories and about how knowing your family 'stuff' helps you be a more emotionally healthy person. How knowing your family stories helps you face challenges with a greater strength, how you develop a stronger sense of self and self esteem, it was super cool!!!! I ended up following the links to a series of articles and just had to share....seriously interesting and beautiful.   I took the 20 Question Quiz and knew the answers to every single one - BOOM - good job teaching me family.  Hopefully in thirty years my ladies will know the answers.  Enjoy!

Love you all,
Jenny

4 comments:

The Hudkins Family said...

Really loved this post Jenny! Makes me want to be a better record keeper! (maybe less time quilting and more time scrapbooking) I think we could change #20 to include how the gospel came in to our family. Garth, do you think you could post the answer to #5 for us all. Gramma and Grampa could post #15. Would love to hear from some of the grandkids which answers they knew. hint hint
Charlene xo

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting. I couldn't answer all questions about my parents and they are no longer around to ask. You probably know that we are S L O W L Y working on a book and you will get many answers from us. As for the last question, I know it was thrown in for fun, but it made me think of my family and I decided that, thankfully, they were all pretty upbeat.
Love,
Gramma

Garth said...

I also really liked this post Jenny. Thanks for putting it on the family blog. This is very important information.

I have had a strong feeling for a few years now that it is important for children to know who they are and how they fit into their extended family. Also I felt that knowing about their parents and grandparents lives would give them a better sense of belonging and some sort of inner strength.

I wasn't sure why I felt this was important until I read this article...now I know why!

Oh, and Gramma and Grampa met in a back alley while they were playing garbage man. ha ha.

On a more serious note, I will try to write something on the blog about gramma and grampa meeting. Let me ponder it a bit.

The Hudkins Family said...

I used this idea as a Family Home Evening activity at our Stake Temple Week and it went over very well!
Margo