Thursday, October 3, 2013

Hello Everyone!  It's been a long time since I posted anything on this blog...

Well, I have a few things I'd like to share that I found on Pinterest.  These have all been tested and approved in my kitchen! 

This is one of my favourites... it has a real good flavour!  I make gravy with the drippings and serve it over mashed potatoes.  I put the leftover chicken in freezer bags, about 2 cups in each bag.  

Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken

4 or 5 chicken breasts
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano

Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle chicken breasts with all the spices.  Add chicken stock. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.  Shred chicken with two forks.  

You might already do this, but I buy the family packs of hamburger and as soon as I get home from the store, I fry it up.  Some with garlic, some without.  I then divide it in freezer bags.  This saves a lot of time preparing meals and can be used in many, many recipes.  I wish I had done this years ago...

Here are some of my homemade things:

Goo Gone - use equal amounts of oil (vegetable, canola, olive, etc) and baking soda.  I keep mine in a jar.  

 Febreeze - 1/8 cup Downey fabric softener, 2 Tbsp baking soda and hot water from the tap. This stuff works great and the smell lasts way longer that store-bought.  This stuff is over $7 a bottle in the store.  Crazy!!

Laundry Detergent (concentrated recipe) - 1/2 cup Borax, 1/2 cup Super Washing Soda, 1/2 cup Blue Dawn dish soap and 4 cups boiling water.  Put ingredients in a gallon milk jug.  Swirl until all is dissolved.  When cool, fill with cold water until about 3/4 full.  I use 1/4 cup per load in my HE machine.  Give the jug a shake before each use as the baking soda may settle.  I was a true Tide fan, but I find this stuff works just as good.  You will find the Borax and Washing Soda in the laundry isle.  

Fabric Softener -  This step is optional.  Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of scent booster in 1 cup of hot water (from the tap).  Let it sit while you combine the other ingredients.  Stir occasionally. 

 Put 1 cup of Baking Soda in a large bowl (I put mine in the sink).  VERY SLOWLY add 6 cups of vinegar. The chemical reaction will make it bubble up. Pour the vinegar and baking soda in a gallon jug and add the scent booster and give it a shake.  Give the jug a few shakes before each use as the baking soda will settle.  I use just under 1/2 cup per load.

Tub/Shower cleaner -  Put 1 cup of hot vinegar and 1 cup of Blue Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle.  Shake before use.  Spray the tub and shower and let sit for 5 min or longer.  Use a wet rag and go over the tub/shower.  Then rinse.  I use the hand held shower (this works awesome).  The vinegar smell was overwhelming at first.  This makes the bathroom sparkle!  This is the best tub cleaner ever.... I will never buy store bought tub cleaner again!!

Stove Top Cleaner -  Generously sprinkle baking soda over the stove top.  Get a small towel or rag in hot, soapy water.  Place the soggy wet rag on the stove top and leave it for about 15 min.  Then use the rag in a circular motion and scrub the stove top.  Rinse with warm clean water.  This works great!  

Anyway, that's all for now.  I hope you find this useful!  

Love to all,
Roxanne



4 comments:

polischuk said...

You ROCK!!!!! Thanks for these. I am totally going to try a few, especially the tub cleaner....chemicals on my babies kinda scare me but I like a clean tub.

Jon and Alyson said...

Auntie, you domestic goddess you! These ideas and recipes are great. Excited to check some out. Thanks!

The Hudkins Family said...

Definitely gonna try the tub one too!
Charlene xo

Anonymous said...

I like using the laundry soap and really like the glass stove top cleaner too. For our hard water I use about 2/3 cup soap per HE load. Will try the tub cleaner too. Also the chicken recipe. Sounds good. Thanks for sharing, Roxanne. Even though you told me these things, when I see it in print it's easier to follow and REMEMBER.
Hugs to everyone,
Gramma