Monday, December 31, 2007

Great Grandma's Recipe

I have been using a cookbook called 'Grandma's Touch' and came across a recipe that both Great Grandma Hudkins and my mother - Great Grandma Hahn used to make. I thought I'd share it with you.

When I was young they called it EGGLESS, MILKLESS, BUTTERLESS CAKE but in this cookbook they called it BOILED RAISIN CAKE.


1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup butter - my mother used either lard or bacon drippings.
but I just use hard margarine
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

* In a saucepan combine sugar, butter, water, raisins and spices. Bring to boil and continue
to boil for 3 minutes. Then cool.

* In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Stir into the cooled raisin mixture.
* Pour into a greased 9" square pan.
* Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly.

Optional:
* Sprinkle lightly with icing sugar. (if you want a design, sprinkle over top of paper doily and
then remove the doily carefully)



O.K. So now we'll see if I will actually get this posted without Addie sitting beside me and walking me through the process.

We were supposed to go to an Empty Nesters New Years Eve party but decided to stay home and relax instead. Who knows, maybe I can beat Grandpa at Tile Rummy tonight. Last night he was the champ.

Have a Happy New Year everyone.

Love,
Gramma

0 comments: