Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Birds Are Still Alive!!

Oh as I watch all the new postings on the blog and then everyone's individual family blog, I feel like blogging was not meant for me!!  I always think when I finally do blog that I will continue to keep up with it...but then 4-5 weeks go by and I look like a shmuck again hehe Oh well, it is a nice thing when it does occur.
I thought I would let everyone know that we are still alive and kicking even though there hasn't been much on the blog from us. I've tried a few times unsuccessfully to put a video of Jacey on here walking. It was a fantastic family moment and we were so fortunate to have caught it. But no dice, it doesn't want to load on either of our blogs! So I'll give you all a run down of what is new with us.

Ms. Bird is a busy busy busy lady. She had botox injections about 3 weeks ago and they have taken beautifully in her legs. The botox has helped to relax her rigid, spastic muscles and she is bending, moving and scooting better than before. She also had her little eyes checked while under the anaestetic and she is going to be receiving a teeny tiny pair of glasses, sooooo cute! Can't wait to get them. This will hopefully help her focus, see better and help work on correcting the crossing and drifting around. Jacey was confirmed to start a school program this fall called GRIT and it will be out of our home 5 mornings a week. She will participate in community programs like music, swimming, library and a playgroup and then the rest of the time at home. We have a one on one individual come to our home and be present for all these activities and also be able to accompany me to some of her longer appts at the hospital which will rock! We are super excited for this. She is such a funny little girl, waving and blowing kisses to people. Beginning to really communicate and play silly with everyone. She is such a joy and blessing to our family. Jon is still working hard in the city, bringing home the bacon. Very excited for this year's hockey after the draft and free agent trades ( I think that is what just happened. I actually read a book in another room for lack of care) hehe. I am excited to start piano in the fall, I've decided to open up and will have 6 or 7 students now. Exciting! I was also just called as the Ward Organist, which makes me wanna barf a bit. I am enjoying learning the hymns but not playing them in front of people. Yikes!!
We have also made a large decision in our family. There is a special ability camp that is available in Ontario. We have decided that we are going to begin fundraising for it and take Jacey next year for the May/June session. It is a 5 week long intensive therapy session. She will have sitting, walking, laying, communication, eating and toilet training therapy for 5-6 hours a day and also receive an hour a day of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. I had heard of the camp and watched the videos and researched it and believe that it will be something extraordinary for Jacey and teach Jon and I many new things. The website is abilitycamp.com and it is amazing. Having said that, the camp cost is $10,000 and the travel costs (flights, car rentals and food) will be close to $5,000 for the 5 weeks. This is a large chunk of money and I have contacted some social clubs already and spoken with our local newspaper who will do a write up of Jacey. Jon and I are beginning to set up a donation centre online and I am planning on doing a bottle drive, bake sale, raffle and passing out brochures. Any and all extended family support would be appreciated. If you have any ideas for fundraising or would like to go ahead on your own and donate, it would be greatly appreciated. Some ideas are taking in a brochure to your place of employment to see if they would help, saving your bottles for our family, my mom (Charlene) is planning to work the election this fall and donate her wage to Jacey's camp. This is a big deal for our family and we are grateful for all of the support, love and prayers. Hope things are well with everyone else. Lvoe you all, Jon, Alyson and Jacey

3 comments:

The Hudkins Family said...

Alyson - We are excited for the Abilities Camp. We would like for you to use our airmiles for the flights. I checked it out and we have way more than you will need. Even for the extra person you need to take with you. We will do anything we can to help out. This is a great opportunity for our family to work together. We are truly blessed to have Jacey in our family.

Love the picture of our beautiful Jacey.

Much love,
Gramma & Grampa

polischuk said...

Jacey is a blessing!!! Everyone who knows her, adores her!

I am super pumped for you guys. We are totally here to help and the wheels are turning in my head. Love the Polischuk's

The Hudkins Family said...

Grampa and I have been brainstorming. We will do a letter and put it under each door in this building telling the residents we would be happy to pick up their bottles or they can drop them at our suite. (Now, all I need is someone to help me place a picture of Jacey on the letter). We feel this is something we are able to do. As well, we always keep our loose change in a container. When I wrap the coins every 5-6 weeks I get just over $100. This will also go into our Jacey Ability Jar.

I'm excited to get saving.

Love,
Gramma