Friday, May 31, 2013

Back to Reality

Charlene and I got home Monday evening.  Our holiday was everything I had hoped for.  Charlene is a super travelling companion.  She really looked after her old Mom.
 
Poland was, for me, the fulfillment of a dream.  For so many years now I wanted to 'walk where my mother walked'.  I wasn't sure we would be able to find the exact address but thanks to a genealogist in Warsaw and the very kind and thoughtful pastor at the church where my mother was christened, it did happen.  I can't begin to explain the emotion I felt when we found the place.  The moment I got out of the car the tears just came.  I could feel my mother's presence.  The people living there now were very very kind.  We visited with them for over an hour.  The pastor knew English and translated for us.  I have some great pictures and have tried posting them but it just doesn't work for me.  Sorry!!  I know I was shown how but I'm way too technologically challenged. 

We were able to touch and read out of books from the 1800's. went to the archives and got some birth and death records and got registered with them. 
Charlene did awesome driving a standard shift and the GPS kept us on track except for when he told us "You have reached your destination" in the middle of a tunnel.  When we said "What?"  He repeated "You have reached your destination."  Too funny!

  We attended church in Warsaw and London.  Temples in Frankfurt, Preston and London, an outstanding fireside in Edinburgh.  I even got to see Buckingham Palace.  We visited with relatives in Germany.  Some I had seen before and some for the first time.  All were great.  However, after Poland, as Charlene said "The rest was gravy." 

Having experienced all of the above, there is still no place like home and being around those I love the most is the best experience in the whole wide world.

Glad to be home,
Love to you all,
Gramma

2 comments:

Jon and Alyson said...

Sounds like such an amazing trip you and mom did! So glad for you! Love you Gramma! -Alyson

Anonymous said...

We are allergic to nickel and possess pewter earrings. I've never had an issue with the posts.

my weblog - Danon silver jewellery