Thursday, September 4, 2008

Try These Cookies

Hi Everyone,
The blog has been so quiet for such a very long time that I decided to share another recipe. When I opened the blog I was pleased to see Cassidy and Jeanine's input. Babies, engagements, and probably wedding plans - how will Grampa and I ever keep track of it all! Life is exciting! Life is good! Baby Jacey is coming to visit this afternoon. What more can a great-grandparent ask for.

Here is a recipe I thought I would share with you. I got it in 1986 from a staff member at Westwood but never tried it until the other day. It is quite unusual because it takes so few ingredients. No eggs! These cookies are very much like granola bars - only better. The addition of vanilla and salt is my doing. I like the taste. They're way too healthy for Grampa's liking but he eats them anyway.

The recipe makes a very large batch. I halved it and got 6 dozen cookies. Here is the full recipe:

AGGRESSIVE COOKIES (interesting name)

3 cups brown sugar )
3 cups margarine ) cream together until really nice and creamy
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
6 cups oatmeal
1 Tbsp. Baking soda

Mix all very well. If dough seems crumbly, kneed it with your hands. That worked well for me.
Roll into walnut size balls, then roll in white sugar & place on greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for about 10 - 12 minutes or until edges seem to be a little golden.

Note: I found that I had to let them cool for a minute or two before removing from the cookie sheet with a spatula otherwise they crumbled on me. Once they were cold they stayed together really well.


Grampa & I are doing well. The Employment Center is closed until further notice because of being short staffed. They are in the process of calling more workers. With the extra time off, Betty & I went to Pincher Creek to visit Auntie Erna. Had a really nice time. They are both Scrabble nuts. I did not too badly at scrabble THANKS TO THEIR HELP! We had a nice time together. This was our second annual sisters get-together. It is very special to be with my two sisters.

Hope to have more traffic on the blog.

Love you all,
Gramma

1 comments:

Jon and Alyson said...

Gramma, don't you love spending time with your sisters? One of my most favorite things to do. We loved coming over for supper and having you get to hang out with Jacey. The cookies sound tasty! Love, Alyson